Aaron Green was an internationally recognized Architect and Associate of Frank Lloyd Wright. His works were very diverse and included residential, commercial, industrial, municipal, religious, and housing projects. Aaron Green’s career spanned over six decades, with fifty of these from his office in San Francisco.
Aaron was born in Corinth, Mississippi in 1917, but spent the majority of his youth in Florence, Alabama. He received his architectural education at The Cooper Union in New York City, then returned to Florence in 1939. In short time, Aaron was engaged in residential commissions, one of which being a design for a recently newlywed couple, Stanley and Mildred Rosenbaum. Aaron then persuaded his young clients that they engage Frank Lloyd Wright as their architect, and subsequently contacted Wright on their behalf. Aaron served as the client’s liaison with Wright throughout design and construction of their home, now a historic landmark structure. Wright was impressed with the young man’s dedication, and offered Aaron membership into his apprenticeship group, the Taliesin Fellowship. Aaron maintained a close personal and working relationship with Frank Lloyd Wright for twenty years thereafter until Wright's passing in 1959.
During World War II, Aaron enlisted and served in the Air Force for three years as a bombardier in the Pacific conflict. After the war, Aaron somewhat surprisingly did not rejoin Frank Lloyd Wright, but instead set up practice in Los Angeles. He also married a started his family at this time. For a short period, Aaron worked in the office of the renowned industrial designer, Raymond Loewy. Still, Aaron continued to correspond with Wright as well as assist with projects developing in Southern California.
In 1951, when Frank Lloyd Wright learned that Aaron was relocating to San Francisco, he suggested opening a joint office together where Aaron would not only continue his own independent practice, but would also serve as well as Wright’s West Coast representative. They continued on this basis until Wright’s passing in 1959. In all, Aaron Green participated in forty of Frank Lloyd Wright’s projects and in 1957 was designated by Wright to serve as his Associate Architect for the Marin County Civic Center project. Aaron continued this relationship with Wright’s successor firm, Taliesin Associated Architects.
For fifty years, from the opening of the San Francisco office, to Aaron’s passing in June of 2001, the scope of his work varied between custom residences and large scale urban planning. Aaron taught as lecturer/critic at Stanford University, Department of Architecture for fifteen years. His work was frequently published in national magazines, and he received several prestigious national design awards. In 1968, Aaron became a member of the College of Fellows, American Institute of Architects, awarded for design excellence.
Following an intensive national competition in 1999, at the age of 82, Aaron was awarded the commission to master plan and design a new co-educational boarding school in Greensboro, North Carolinathe American Hebrew Academy. Over the final two years of his life, Aaron completed designs for 74 buildings to be constructed on the 100-acre campus, several of which were nearing completion of construction at the time of his passing. The trustee’s of the Academy honored Aaron with their commitment to complete his vision for their campus. The continuing office of Aaron G. Green Associates is also dedicated to this effort as well as extending Aaron’s legacy far into the future.
Aaron G. Green Associates, Inc.
5 Third Street Suite 224
San Francisco, CA 94103
415 777.0530 voice
415 777.1014 fax